Little Big MMO
Based in Japan
PC / Mac / Linux
Gangs of Space is a massively-multiplayer space online game of the 4X genre (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate), using a shmup hack'n slash gameplay.
Gangs of ambitious players compete against each other to conquer the most territories in hostile planetary systems, using ships and items looted from destroyed enemies, or designed and built in player-owned space bases.
The Gang which accumulates the most territorial, economical, technological and political influence is awarded the rank of Quadrant Administrator, and is allowed to write the laws of the universe.
- Action gameplay, hack'n'shash shmup with permanent death.
- Multiple ship classes, each with a very distinct gameplay.
- No XP, no levelling. The skill of the player himself is paramount.
- One universe (no sharding) to discover and conquer.
- Space structures to build & then protect in order to exploit the conquered territories.
- Economy, technology, industry, geopolitics are all completely player-driven.
- Governing players can set laws and taxes in their governed planetary systems.
- Innovative crafting system, which gives players complete freedom in designing their own item variations.
- API that let anyone create applications (PC/Mac, web, mobile…) that can interact with the game.
Behind the game
We started with the idea of creating an MMO that would be simple and enjoyable from the start, like an old-fashion arcade game. We wanted the player himself to enjoy the learning curve, not his character getting bigger and bigger numbers as his levels go by.
But behind this simplicity and accessibility, we wanted a rich and deep game system. The more you would play, the more specialized you would become, then you would start to notice how all the game mechanics (economy, technology, politics) interweave and give complexity and endless possibilities to the game.
And last, we wanted a MMO where the persistence of the world would be the consequence of all the continuous actions of all the players. We wanted to step aside from a pre-made story and to give birth to a real History, with historical events that can impact deeply all the game aspects, including its gameplay. A game that would give its whole meaning to the word “MMO”.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Excellence Award" Dengeki Online, september 2014
- "Best of Technical Arts Award" Indie Stream FES 2014, september 2014
- "Excellence in Game Design Award" BitSummit MMXIV, march 2014
- "The fact that the game is so fun and that I spent 4 hours on it without realizing made me want to look more into it."
- Krayn, LFG - Jeuxvideo.com
- "Famitsu chooses Gangs of Space for its quality and originality."
- , Famitsu
- "Gangs of Space keeps on surprising us, and I strongly advise you to vote for it."
- Arthur Jeannin, Indius
- "For a long time confined to a fixed scrolling, the SHMUP genre pushes back its limits here, and engages the player in a race to conquer an universe enriched by MMO features and the presence of other players."
- Agahnon, jeuxonline.info
- "Revolutionning indie games by innovative financing and community management."
- Kiyoshi Shin, Nikkei
About Little Big MMO
Funded in 2012 by Erhune and Grouroux, the studio Little Big MMO is focused on the development and management of the MMO Gangs of Space.
More information on Little Big MMO, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Gangs of Space Credits
Game Designer, Little Big MMO
Developpement, Little Big MMO